Recently, I completed Seth Godin’s 4-week leadership intensive called altMBA. It was perfect timing for me to work through this high-intensity, short-term program while simultaneously onboarding new members into Unreal Collective.
Every week we were given three assignments, some of which were done individually and others with a learning group. Of our 12 assignments, I was able to practically apply about half of them directly to the work I am doing with Unreal in real time.
One of my favorite exercises was the Asset, Boundary, Narrative (ABN) analysis.
Assets are productive tools, things we can use again and again. Assets can be bought and sold, and most important, assets can be developed.
Boundaries are things we determine we can’t, won’t or shouldn’t do.
Narratives are the stories we tell ourselves, stories about boundaries, about assets and about potential.
Our challenge, then, was to relentlessly and honestly do an ABN analysis of an existing person or organization and reimagine how their assets may be realigned to accomplish their goals. Fair game was adjusting boundaries (are they creating an unnecessary boundary?) or narratives (are any of these narratives untrue or unnecessary?) to accomplish those goals.
I did this same exercise for my work, both with Unreal and my email list. And I identified some boundaries and narratives that I challenged, such as:
- I don’t need to write every day
- I don’t need to complete a 12-week cycle before starting another
- Coaching may soon become my primary income vs. Unreal facilitation
- This could make membership selection more competitive
I’m still working through this exercise and looking at new possibilities, but you can see how it can quickly change your assumptions and create new ideas.
If you’d like to do your own ABN analysis and get some feedback, reply to this email. I’d be happy to help you get started.
Related to this ABN analysis, there are a couple upcoming opportunities I wanted to share with you.
- Interested in becoming a future member of Unreal Collective? Join the waiting list for priority consideration.
- If you know you’re capable of doing more, but you’re just not reaching your full potential, I want to help. I’m taking on a limited number of new personal coaching clients over the next several months. Contact me and we’ll set up an initial conversation.